I’m just getting on the road again after several months of living in Medellin, Colombia, so I thought I’d start trying to do monthly summaries again. Because I treated myself to a business class flight and hopped around quite a bit, this month was a bit expensive, but if you cut out my trans-Atlantic, which was $650, it’s just about where my target monthly spend is.
This summary covers travel related expenses for 7 September 2015 – 30 September 2015.
Location(s) Visited This Month
- Kiev, Ukraine
- Lviv, Ukraine
- Kiev, Ukraine
- Vilnius, Lithuania
- Kaunas, Lithuania
- Southampton, UK
- Bath, UK
Transportation – $849.16
- This includes all transportation between cities as well as public transport within cities. It is especially high because it includes my flight from the USA which was $665.40. Without that, this monthly expense is a much more reasonable $183.76. That number is still high given I had several flights, but it’s not too bad.
Lodging – $333.46
- I only started house sitting for the last 10 days of the month, so I spent quite a bit of time this month in hotels, hostels, and AirBNB rentals.
Food – $221.55
- Since I started my house sit, I’ve mostly eaten in, but this amount includes all of my restaurant meals while I was traveling in the Ukraine and Lithuania.
Entertainment – $206.72
- I’m not generally one for tours, but I was so close to Chernobyl when I was in Kiev that it seemed silly to not go see it, and I’m glad I did. But, it cost $180.32 which is crazy expensive for me. The other $25-ish covered a few rounds and snacks at the pub.
Miscellaneous – $234.83
- This is mostly the cash I’ve taken out of the ATM since I’ve been in Europe. It’s not entirely accurate because I still have Euros and Pounds that I’ll spend in other months but it came out this month so I’ll count it now. It also includes $34.06 which I paid for mobile data service in the UK. The rest of it went to a mix of food, bus fares, and just other random things. I don’t like tracking cash so I don’t have an exact breakdown.
Monthly Total: $1845.72
This seems like a lot, and it is. It would be much more reasonable without my trans-Atantic flight and the Chernobyl tour, and it should be lower in future months (which is a good thing).