I moved a *lot* this month and my expenses reflect that. I also spent a long weekend in Seville with a friend which included a lot of food and wine. Had I not done that weekend, My expenses would probably be about $250-300 less this month. I also had my international fight to SEA this month which added $237.
This summary covers travel related expenses for 1-31 January 2016.
Location(s) Visited This Month
- Dusseldorf, Germany
- Seville, Spain
- Tarifa, Spain
- Malaga, Spain
- Barcelona, Spain
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
Transportation – $364.11
- This includes all transportation between cities as well as public transport within cities.
- I had several flights, notably Barcelona to Bangkok, but I also used Blablacar several times in Spain in lieu of buses and trains. I liked it a lot.
Lodging – $357.54
- This is a bit lower than it normally would be for a month with limited house sitting, but I had several free nights on hotels.com that I was able to use. I also had several nights in Seville that my friend paid for which I paid back by covering her food expenses, so about $75 worth of food should be moved to lodging.
Food & Entertainment – $528.09
- My food was expensive for a few reasons. 1) it includes some added expense for a friend when I was paying her back for lodging. 2) I had no access to a kitchen for most of the month. 3) I spent quite a bit of time in touristy areas where restaurants were expensive. 4) In Thailand, to avoid the ATM fees I would frequently cover the bill for everyone and keep the cash so this artificially inflated the food costs.
Miscellaneous – $75.62
- This includes expenses for a mobile phone plan and random money from the ATM. Most transactions in Thailand are in cash and I’m not into tracking cash. 🙂
Monthly Total: $1325.36
Average monthly spend: $1293.27 ($293.27)*
Given the international flights and an expensive weekend in Seville with a friend, I’m not surprised that I’m over budget this month.
* My average monthly spending target is $1k/mo. This number is the average for the months I’ve been working remotely so far. The amount in parentheses is the amount I’m over or under my goal.