My streak of house sitting ended this month so I spent a lot of time traveling again, which was a great change but definitely impacts the budget. One high unexpected expense was for 2 nights of lodging in an almost sold out city. Those two nights were almost $200! I’m over my monthly goal, but considering that I visited 8 cities in 5 countries this month, it’s not too bad. I did house sit until the 10th of August which helped!
This summary covers travel related expenses for 1-31 August 2016.
Location(s) Visited This Month
- Helsingborg, Sweden
- Gdansk, Poland
- Warsaw, Poland
- Wroclaw, Poland
- Krakow, Poland
- Budapest, Hungary
- Belgrade, Serbia
- Sarajevo, Bosnia
Transportation – $163.16
- This is for public transportation, a flight, and bus/train travel. Thankfully buses around Poland were pretty cheap, aside from one train I had to take, so these costs weren’t too bad.
Lodging – $521.23
- I stayed mostly in hostels with a few nights of Airbnb and hotel stays. 2 nights in one hotel was almost $200 because the city was almost sold out on a busy weekend.
Food & Entertainment – $219.12
- I ate out pretty much every meal but thankfully I was in generally low-cost areas which helped.
Miscellaneous – $158.15
- This money was all cash which I don’t track. Most of this went towards food and entertainment. I did a lot of free walking tours which I tipped for. This also included a sim card with data.
Monthly Total: $1133.66
Average monthly spend: $968.60 ($31.40)*
I’m still under my monthly average target, but moving around and eating out all the time definitely makes life more expensive.
At reader request, I am including a link to a monthly breakdown chart so you can see month-by-month spending in one spot. Monthly Spending
* My average monthly spending target is $1k/mo. This number is the average for the months I’ve been working remotely so far. The amount in parentheses is the amount I’m over or under my goal.