The castle is named after Celtic saint Donnan of Eigg, who established a church here first in 617. The castle has witnessed a lot of aristocratic dramas and attacks from Mackenzie’s enemies. The castle’s renovation started in 1919 and was finished in 1932. Today it is one of the most popular castles in Scotland. Its dramatic exterior attracts many visitors, photographers, and filmmakers, as well as advertisers.