This is my first full month back on the road and I was moving much more slowly which is much more my style. I did, however, spend an unexpected weekend in London and I went out for drinks with friends several nights which drastically added to my budget. Had I followed my original plan, my budget would be about $425 lower than it was. But, I had a great time and I still came in under my $1k monthly target so I don’t begrudge the extra spending.
This summary covers travel related expenses for 1-31 October 2015.
Location(s) Visited This Month
- Southampton, UK
- London, UK
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
Transportation – $103.81
- This includes all transportation between cities as well as public transport within cities. It is higher than it might otherwise be because I used Uber in London a couple times.
Lodging – $112.54
- I was scheduled to house sit for the entire month, however, my home owners returned early so I decided to spend a weekend in London. This was for 2 nights in a hostel.
Food – $386.71
- I ate out quite a bit in Amsterdam and all the time in London which had a pretty big impact on this number. Eating at home definitely is cheaper and, generally, I try to do that most often.
Entertainment – $249.46
- I spent several great nights out with friends this month. Unfortunately they were usually at cocktail bars where I was spending $10-15 per drink vs my usual $5 glasses of wine. That made a big impact on my entertainment costs but I had a great time so I wouldn’t change anything.
Miscellaneous – $3.25
- I need to find a good cash tracking app. Honestly, this $3.25 is probably jingling around in the bottom of my bag right now.
Monthly Total: $855.77
Average monthly spend: $1350.75 ($350.75)*
I’m happy with my expenses for this month. The would have been less than half had I not done my weekend in London and been so social in Amsterdam, but all work and no play makes Mandy a dull girl. Besides, it’s below my monthly target, so I’m happy.
* My average monthly spending target is $1k/mo. This number is the average for the months I’ve been working remotely so far. The amount in parentheses is the amount I’m over or under my goal.